Based on Petty’s 1989 Medals, Mission and Goal.
When completing an assessment students need feedback regarding the quality of their work, not just general praise. E.g. ‘you’ve used a wide range of sentence structures appropriately’ NOT: ‘great amount of work written’.
- Short term goals.
- Information about what exactly was done well in relation to the target.
- Marks and grades are not medals as they do not give any information.
- Information about what the student needs to improve, correct or work on.
- Essentially a positive EBI.
- Should be forward looking and positive.
- One task could be to improve a previous piece of work.
- Marks and grades are not examples of travelling.
- Long term goals.
- The ultimate aim e.g. ‘a 9 in their GCSE’.
- The trophies and travelling should help the student reach this target.
- They should be given well in advance, to make them more achievable.
- They could relate to the AOs, e.g. ‘use paragraphs to show the structure of your writing’.
By Jess Skingsley and Natalie Faulkner